Get an isolation note
Use this service if you need a note for your employer to prove you’re self-isolating because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
You do not need to contact your GP.
Self-isolation advice is changing
Advice in the UK about self-isolating because of COVID-19 is changing.
Check the advice where you live to see if you still need to self-isolate and get an isolation note:
- England – when to stay at home if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) and what to do
- Scotland – NHS Inform: guidance for individuals with possible COVID-19 infection
- Wales – Welsh Government: self-isolation
- Northern Ireland – nidirect: self-isolating and close contacts
Who can use this service
You can use this service if the advice where you live is to self-isolate or stay at home when:
- you have symptoms of COVID-19 or have tested positive
- you live with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive, and you’re not fully vaccinated
- you’ve been told to self-isolate by a test and trace service or the NHS COVID-19 app
You can also use this service for someone else.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste), get a PCR test to check if you have COVID-19 on GOV.UK.
Check the advice where you live to see if you need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result.
If you need medical advice about your symptoms:
- England: 111 online
- Scotland: NHS inform
- Wales: NHS 111 Wales
- Northern Ireland: get advice from a GP or GP out-of-hours service
Before you start
If you have to stay at home but feel well enough to work, ask your employer if you can work from home. If you can work from home, you will not need an isolation note.Start now
Check an isolation note
Employers can check an isolation note is valid by using the Check an isolation note service.