Covid-19 ‘Medical Sick Certification’ For Patients

Posted by: marcia - Posted on:

Get an isolation note

Use this service if you need a note for your employer to prove you’re self-isolating because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

You do not need to contact your GP.

Self-isolation advice is changing

Advice in the UK about self-isolating because of COVID-19 is changing.

Check the advice where you live to see if you still need to self-isolate and get an isolation note:

Who can use this service

You can use this service if the advice where you live is to self-isolate or stay at home when:

  • you have symptoms of COVID-19 or have tested positive
  • you live with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive, and you’re not fully vaccinated
  • you’ve been told to self-isolate by a test and trace service or the NHS COVID-19 app

You can also use this service for someone else.


If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste), get a PCR test to check if you have COVID-19 on GOV.UK.

Check the advice where you live to see if you need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result.

If you need medical advice about your symptoms:

Before you start

If you have to stay at home but feel well enough to work, ask your employer if you can work from home. If you can work from home, you will not need an isolation note.Start now

By using this service you are agreeing to our terms of use (opens in new window) and privacy policy (opens in new window).

Check an isolation note

Employers can check an isolation note is valid by using the Check an isolation note service.